Thursday, July 23, 2015

Toulouse

Toulouse is an adorable little city, and the site of the first week of my study abroad.
Snoop Dogg feat. Dr. Dre: Eat Croissants Everyday.
(I mean, really it should be every (space) day, but I'm not here to tell anyone how to live his life.)

Capitole de Toulouse

Basilique Saint-Sernin de Toulouse
St. Sernin was once the largest cathedral in France (until the Notre Dame), thus the most popular pilgrimage site in France. It is on El Camino de Santiago (Way of St. James), and you can have your passport stamped in the church. I did not.

Garrone
This river made for a perfect a.m. jogging setting. So wonderful. I will jog at home and close my eyes and pretend I'm here. But not for too long, because that's dangerous.

The Youths hang out on the banks of the Garrone around this point on Friday and Saturday night. We thought we'd live like the locals on Friday and join them. It was authentic, but nothing makes an adult in her late-20s feel older than being surrounded by 17-year-olds making merriment.

Gotcha
All the wine.

More of the wine.
Best. Meal. Ever.

This was food-induced euphoria. There was also a good deal of wine and an even greater deal of silliness. Everyone needs to experience, just once, being in a setting that is just way fancier than you or your behavior. As an adult. And to feel so embarrassed that you're having such a good time, but you're having too good a time to really let the weight of shame last long. Am I right?... You can't take me anywhere.

Carcassone
Visited a castle. Awesome.

Pro Tips and Rookie Mistakes


  1. Pro Tip: Drink all the wine. Just do it. The wine is amazing. The food is amazing. Drink all the wine. Gain all the pounds. It's fine.
  2. Pro Tip (bonus): I know I might be the minority here, but... Toulouse > Paris. Don't be mad. Paris is beautiful and romantic... and crowded and expensive. Toulouse is quaint and welcoming and reasonable. Paris obviously has an authentically and inimitably French culture vibe, but Toulouse oozes a much different, more laid-back French culture that I really loved.
  3. Rookie Mistake: I don't know, maybe I should have gotten my passport stamped at the church. I have so many empty pages. Now that the EU is all Shengened, I didn't get to fill up those pages like I could have 20 years ago.
  4. Rookie Mistake (bonus): Maybe I shouldn't have spent so much time at the English pub... No, that's ridiculous; I regret nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment